Monday, September 19, 2011

September 5, 2011 - Installing Ubuntu

Taking my cues from my installation of VirtualBox and my colleague’s posts on GAView, I again set aside a few hours of time to complete the download and installation of Ubuntu. I went to www.ubuntu.com/downloads where I received an error message that directed me to the download page http://www.ubuntu.com/download/ubuntu/download that I needed. There I selected Ubuntu 11.04 – Latest Version, 32-bit (recommended). I had thought 64-bit might run more quickly because I do have a 64-bit machine; however, RPM explained it was unstable. I clicked the Start Download button which brought up a dialog box asking if I wanted to Open or Save the File. I chose the Save File option and the file began downloading into my Downloads folder. The entire download process took approximately 20 minutes, which gave me time to open VirtualBox and confirm the settings on the virtual machine I had created August 30. When the download was complete, I clicked on the ARST5100 machine to highlight it and then chose the Start option. A dialog box came up warning me the Auto Capture Keyboard option was on. After clicking OK to this information, the First Run Wizard came up. The Select Installation Media box came up with a default of the Host Drive E. I changed this to the Ubuntu 11.04-desktop-i386.iso (685.29 mb) I had saved in my Downloads folder and clicked next. A summary of the media I was booting from came up(Type: CD/DVD-ROM Device, Source: Ubuntu-11.04-deskt op-i386.iso (685.29 mb)) and I clicked Start. At this point, two dialog boxes came up with information on VirtualBox. I clicked OK to both the mouse pointer integration and the 32 versus 16 bit color mode boxes.

The welcome screen for Ubuntu came up with English selected as the language and two options: Try Ubuntu and Install Ubuntu. I chose Install Ubuntu which led to a screen ensuring I had at least 4.4GB of free space, a power source and connection to the internet. After checking all of these, I followed RPM’s direction and did NOT check the install updates while downloading box. I did check the install this third-party software box as RPM said it would not add much time to the installation. I clicked Forward the Allocate Drive Space box came up. I selected “Erase disk and install Ubuntu” and clicked Forward. I accepted the default drive: SCSI3 (0,0,0) (sda) – 21.5 GB ATA VBOX HARDDISK and clicked Install Now. I chose New York as the time zone and USA as the Keyboard Layout. This brought me to the Who are you? Box where I chose the following information:

Your name: Heather

Your computer’s name: ARST5100

Username: *******

Password: *******

Require my password to log in.

Installation took a little over twenty minutes from this point. The process was much faster than I had anticipated. I clicked the Restart Now button which brought up the command-line box prompting me to remove any installation media. I clicked on CD/DVD devices under Devices on the main menu and while the ubuntu 11.04-desktop-i386.iso was there, it was not checked, so I did not need to remove any virtual CD/DVD from the virtual drive. I’m unsure why this happened, but it did not appear to alter the reboot process. After restarting, a dialog box came up with two options other… and Heather. I chose Heather, typed in my password, and clicked Login. I clicked close to ignore the dialog box concerning Unity and Ubuntu Classic. Per the instructions, I waited several minutes for the Update Manager to come up. However, when it did not, I found it under System, Administration, Update Manager. A list of 210 updates came up, which totaled 145.00 mb to download. I clicked Install Updates, typed in my password in the Authentication box and the download process started. Seventeen minutes later, I received the message my system was up-to-date and pressed the Restart Now button.

The machine restarted and I was prompted to put my password in to Login. Once logged in, I clicked on Device then Install Guest Additions. I stayed with the default Autorun Prompt and clicked OK. A warning box came up verifying I wanted to run the software which took approximately 3 minutes to install. I went to the round power button and chose the Restart option. The machine restarted, I logged in and the file VBOXADDITIONS_4.1.2_73507 is on the main screen. I will post a question about this, because I am not sure if it is still supposed to be visible.

I shut down the machine using the round power button, which put me back to the VirtualBox console. I plugged my Rocketfish external hard drive into the computer and waited for it to be recognized. I clicked File, Export Appliance to back my Linux Ubuntu ARST5100 machine to this external hard drive. I chose all of the defaults per RPM’s instructions; however I was never given the option of where to export my backup. I do not know where the backup was saved. After realizing it was not saved on my external drive, I returned to the VirtualBox and repeated the File, Export Appliance steps. I manually changed the drive under Appliance Export Settings to the H (external) drive. This was successful and my machine is now backed up.


No comments:

Post a Comment