Monday, September 19, 2011

August 30, 2011 - Installing VirtualBox

Making sure my computer was plugged in and I had set aside a few hours of time, I went to http://www.virtualbox.org/wiki/Downloads to download VirtualBox 4.1.2 for Windows hosts. I chose the Save file option, saving a file named VirtualBox-4.1.2-73507-Win.exe to my Downloads folder. While this file was downloading, I also clicked on the VirtualBox 4.1.2 Oracle VM VirtualBox Extension Pack – All Platforms from the VirtualBox website and chose to save it in the Downloads folder as well. This file saved as Oracle_VM_VirtualBox_Ext…4.1.2-73507.vbox-extpack. After both file downloads had been completed, which took approximately 15 minutes, I double-clicked on the named VirtualBox-4.1.2-73507-Win.exe file. This gave me the option to Run the file, which I chose. The Oracle VM VirtualBox 4.1.2 Setup Wizard appeared, taking me through a step-by-step installation. I went through each dialog box, accepting the defaults VirtualBox suggested. While the file was installing, four Windows security dialog boxes appeared, asking, “Would you like to install device software?” I chose the Yes option to each query. When the download was complete, I clicked Finish with the checkbox to have it start automatically clicked. VirtualBox opened without any issues.

When the software opened on my computer, I clicked on File and then Preferences to begin the extension pack installation. In the Settings dialog box, I navigated to Extensions and clicked on the Add Package button to the right of the screen. I was directed to the Downloads folder where I selected the Oracle VM VirtualBox extension pack I had downloaded earlier. I agreed to the terms and conditions of the license. A User Account Control dialog box appeared, asking, “Do you want to allow the following program to making changes to this computer?” I selected “Yes” and the extension pack successfully downloaded.

Finally, I configured a virtual machine in preparation for the installation of Ubuntu next week. In VirtualBox, I clicked New, which brought up the New Virtual Machine Wizard. I clicked next to bring me to the VM Name and OS Type dialog box. Per RPM’s instructions, I named my computer ARST5100, relating the name of the computer to the work that would be done on it. I chose a Linux operating system with Ubuntu version and clicked Next. The Memory dialog box came up with a default of 512 MB. I raised this to 1024 MB to increase the speed of the computer. The Virtual Hard Disk dialog box gave me the option of creating a new start-up disk for my virtual machine. After clicking next I was taken to the virtual disk creation wizard. As this step was not specified in RPM’s instructions, I chose the default first option of a VirtualBox Disk Image (VDI) file type for my virtual disk. I then chose the dynamically allocated file size option and changed the size of the disk file to 20 MB, up from the default 8. I left the location of the disk at its default, ARST5100. I was provided with a summary of the virtual machine that was about to be created, which I verified and then allowed VirtualBox to create. With the ARST5100 machine created, I was back at the main screen of the VirtualBox Manager. The last task I completed caused slight apprehension because my first unexplained error message of the night came up. I scrolled down to Network to change the Network Adapter when this dialog box popped up.

I clicked OK, the box closed and the Setting box opened so I could continue my configuration of the virtual machine, but I am not sure if this Warning will become an issue later. In the Adapter 1 tab, I changed the Attached to: option to a Bridged Adapter then chose the default option under name, which came up as Atheros AR9285 021.b/g/n WiFi Adapter. As I only have a wireless connection, with no wired connectivity, this completed my configuration of the network. I clicked OK and shut down VirtualBox for the evening.

No comments:

Post a Comment