Monday, September 19, 2011

August 22, 2011 - Backing up my computer

I am working on an HP Pavilion dv6 PC. All of my files from previous computers were transferred to this machine when I purchased it in June 2011. I used the Windows 7 backup system to backup all of my computer’s documents onto a 103 GB external hard drive. It was necessary for me to wipe all of that data off the hard drive before I had the necessary room to back up my current files. I did this by right-clicking on the drive in the Computer dialog box, choosing Format, and then Restore Device Defaults. Using Window’s step-by-step system, I determined I would backup all users’ files and a system image. In order to continuously update and protect my data, I set up a recurring backup taking place on Mondays at 8:00 p.m. The external hard drive must be connected to the PC at this time. Following the completion of the data files backup, the system image was also backed up onto the external hard drive. I plan on creating a system repair boot disc, but did not have a writable CD/DVD in order to complete this process. I will document that process when I acquire the appropriate media.

I also have 5 GB of storage on Sugar Sync’s online file backup service. I uploaded all of my documents and photographs, totaling 3,085 files, to this site for additional security. I can now access and make changes to documents from any computer, uploading the altered file to be saved on my home computer. This is also an extra precaution against losing all of my data if both my PC and external hard drive are destroyed. The one exception to this backup is my music because the files are too large to fit within Sugar Sync’s 5 GB of free storage.

No comments:

Post a Comment