Tuesday, December 6, 2011

October 6, 2011 - Networks

Upon starting my virtual box, I ran Update Manager and waited for uploads to install.

In order to find the IP address of my virtual machine, I opened the command line and typed the command:
ifconfig

This resulted in the following screen:





I noted both the IP address from the Ethernet connection and the Local Loopback.

I then moved back to my host computer and used the Windows command line to pull up the same information by typing cmd into search box in the Start menu and using the same command:
ipconfig

My home ip address is:
192.168.1.4.

In order to find my default gateway and name server, I searched the Internet to find sites providing the correct commands for both my Ubuntu and Windows machines. I found it could get the default gateway information on my Windows machine through the same ipconfig command. In order to find the name server, I returned to the command line, and typed in:
ipconfig /all

On my virtual machine
, I used two separate commands to pull up the information. For the default gateway:
route -n
And for the name server:
cat /etc/resolv.conf

I then completed the next two tasks on Assignment 6 by using the commands:
nslookup

ping localhost
ping localhost.net

In an attempt to set up a VPN connection to Clayton I returned to my host computer, where I:
Opened the Start Menu, selected Control Panel, then Network and Internet.
I clicked on Network and Sharin
g Center, Set up a new connection or network, then Connect to a network. This took me through a series of steps to create the connections. I selected to create a new connection, and Use my Internet Connection (VPN) under "How do you want to connect? In the next dialog box, I entered vpn.clayont.edu in the box for Internet address and CCSU under Destination name. I was then prompted to enter my username and password:
hoswald
******

Finally, I clicked Create.

When I tried to actually connect to this network; however, the following error occurred, saying my connection was denied.




The last task I attempted was to log into my home router. After finding the router paperwork, I tried to long-in using the system password provided, but I believe it was changed by the cable company upon installation. I was never able to get into my account.

No comments:

Post a Comment