Wednesday, December 7, 2011

December 6, 2011 - Final thoughts

Throughout this semester, I have learned an incredible amount about the ways computers work, and how many of their function directly relate to the archival field. I truly believe much of this would have been over my head had I not had the hands-on experience of creating my own virtual machine and working in it to complete tasks and solve problems. Once I pulled myself away from simply following RPM's instructions verbatim and trying to understand the "why" behind each direction, I came to appreciate the assignments on a deeper level.

For me, the final assignment really brought home how much I had learned. I was able to work in the command line to fix an issue with my directory access that would have completely stumped me before. I have found that through a little research, I can solve many problems on my own, but having the support and findings of my colleagues, as well as RPM on speed dial, made working with technology interesting, worthwhile, and much less frightening than I had previously assumed.

No comments:

Post a Comment